Thursday, July 21, 2011

Super Simple Sushi Salad

Close-up of texture. 

The finished product, serves 2
You can see from the first picture that this salad has a lot of color, a lot of texture, and a lot of appeal--and it's all very inexpensive and very quick to cook. 

Here's what you need: 

Sushi rice, enough to feed however many people your dinner feeds.  I only have myself and my husband, so I generally make 1.5 cups of rice in 3 cups of water.  It only takes about 10 minutes to cook, and I fluff it with a little vinegar (whatever kind I have on hand) before spreading it on the plate. 

Canned chicken, drained.  You could also use salmon or tuna, I suppose, for a more fishy taste.  Sprinkle on top of the rice.

Green onion or shallots--snip with kitchen scissors and sprinkle on top.

Ginger--I use sliced sushi ginger, and just sprinkle some on top. 

Furikake/Furigake or seaweed--sprinkle it on top.  If you're using seaweed, use kitchen scissors to cut it into tiny pieces and sprinkle it on top. Furikake is available at Asian food stores and is a great tasty topping for any rice dish. 

Other things you might try:  Sliced cucumber, sliced avocado, sliced radishes, wasabi (only for the adventurous!), grated carrot, broiled fish, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment