Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Seed starting

I adore me some gardening. Though I'm in no way an expert and tend to try far more than works out, I adore the entire process.  I love weeding, I love seed starting, I love planting, I love watering, I love watching things grow, I love harvesting, and I love fertilizing plants.  I love summer storms when God waters my plants for me.

I decided that I would make gardening a priority this year.  One reason is that I'm pregnant and the exercise will be great for me.  The other is that I would love to have healthy, home-grown fuel to power this growing baby.  Another is that it gives me goals to look forward to.  Honestly, it can be a little dreary living in someone else's home with little responsibility when you're itching to enjoy family life.

So, about two months ago, I kept every kind of container I could think of so I could start seedlings.  Cardboard boxes, plastic boxes, tea boxes, cardboard and plastic egg cartons, toilet paper rolls, and one electronics box that I don't know quite what it is.

Those assorted containers are now filled with moist soil and there have been seeds germinating in them for about two days.

I'll blog later about which containers did well, how easy/difficult transplanting was, and which seeds win the sprouting prize!

Here's the starter list:
Muscadine grapes
Parsley
Oregano
Rosemary
Basil
Marigold
Phlox
Tomatoes

1 comment:

  1. We have a winner! The marigolds came in first, with cute little spindly sprouts poking up a full day before the oregano began with its nearly microscopic shoots. Finally, in third, the phlox has made its first foray into the sunlight. Congratulations to our contestants! :D

    ReplyDelete