Friday, February 6, 2015

What is Your Simplify Habit?

If you do a basic search on the word "declutter," you will find thousands of incredible ways to simplify your home, life, and mind. There are articles that have simple beginner steps, lifestyle changes, and boot camps to get all the accumulated junk under control. 

When I first discovered decluttering, it was like the heavens had opened and given me an excuse to finally release all the things I was holding onto and displaying simply because Great Aunt Thelma gave me that when I was 5. I remember Great Aunt Thelma fondly and am so glad that she was part of my childhood, but that thing...it doesn't hold any real value to me. It can bless another life and find love in another home. And all the books I saved from college...they won't be read in the next 20 years. They don't need to stay. 

I found that the more I released, the more I discovered that I had. I couldn't throw away, give away, put away fast enough to keep ahead of having two small boys and a treasure trove of hobbies. And heaven help if I tried to get rid of anything of my husband's. I made the mistake of listing his old ninja turtle stocking (after all, the man is 30) on a Facebook sell group for $3. Thank goodness no one bought it, because he was devastated and I later saw on Ebay the same item listed for $45. With shame, I tucked my head down and put the stocking back in the container labeled "David's Childhood" and learned a valuable lesson from the look in his eyes: be sure your decluttering mission doesn't infringe on someone else's heart. I had deemed something precious to him as worthless, then discovered it had value not just to him, but to others as well. 

In this journey to have less stuff, my motto has been, simply: decimate. The idea of giving a tenth is pretty biblical, but this is a bit more Roman in origin. When an army was conquered, occasionally a nice leader would line up this poor, beaten army and count off and kill every tenth man. It taught the army who was boss, in a way none of those poor surviving soldiers would ever forget. It's a bit brutal, but its impact is real. See, simply having less stuff doesn't really mean anything, just as having more stuff doesn't mean anything. It's that pull that stuff has on your soul. It's the energy you spend caring for, dusting, moving, organizing all that stuff, when it could just as well leave and make space for what informs your existence. So I decimate. When looking at ten things, which one goes? If I have 100 things to clean up, suddenly only being responsible for 90 is an improvement already. But to decimate means more than free space. It's a statement of who is in charge here, the stuff or the person. Taking control of all this junk is a mental thing, not just a physical one. 

But if you're not into slaying rampages (and I don't suppose I would blame you for that), there are a wealth of other great ways to get in a decluttering mindset. Here are a few that have been beneficial to me:

Flylady--Back when I had no kids and marginal self-control, her baby steps gave routines that would help me conquer the task of daily home maintenance. I don't agree philosophically with some of where this goes (FLY=fully loving yourself, the idea that you have to perform to value yourself is a bit off-putting to me, though I hope she means that you will love the you that is more disciplined) flylady.com

31 Days to Living Intentionally Simple--My friend Rachel is a pro at systematically decluttering and gave me some great tips as well as taking a month every year to drastically reduce clutter. http://intentionallysimple.com/31-days-to-living-intentionally-simple/

One In, One Out--This principle is simple and life-long. If you bring a new thing in, let an old thing go out. This keeps stuff on rotation and keeps it moving through your life.

-365 in 365--For one year, get rid of one thing per day. That's over 300 things GONE with only one thing per day leaving! This might be a great starting point for those who need big change but have no time to make big changes, or simply have a hard time parting with things.

Three Boxes--the 3-box system is great for on-the-go types. Label the boxes "Trash," "Donate," and "Relocate." Find a new place to put your relocate stuff, junk or give away the stuff in the other boxes. You can go section-by-section in your house, and this tool helps you to decide where all the stuff goes. Right now, I have a section of my bedroom and back porch dedicated to "Yard Sale" and I'm merrily piling those areas high with stuff to send to a yard sale. 

Systematic--Pick up your calendar and think of all the spaces you'd love to go through, organize, and declutter. You can go as big or little as you like. One day could be "Utility drawer" and another "Bedroom closet" or even "sock drawer." You could work for a week, or on days you have off, just be sure to systematically go through each space and claim it as your own. 

SO...what's the declutter habit that fits you? Which ones have I missed? Comment away!

No comments:

Post a Comment