Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Slider heaven

My dear husband always encourages me/us to eat healthily--organic, all-natural, complex carbs, veggies, free-range....

But he LOVES hamburgers.  In fact, after a foray through Five Guys, the next night he was still craving a good burger.  Apparently his appetite was only whetted.  So I intervened.

In the same pan, I fried an egg (runny yolk), a couple slices of bacon, cooked some small turkey burgers (for a recipe, see previous post on burgers), and sauteed onions, garlic, and mushrooms.  

The bottom layer or "bun" was a piece of sourdough bread that I lightly buttered and turned upside down onto the pan to "grill" or "toast."  Next came a little mayo and mustard and some spinach leaves as a lettuce substitute.  Then the burger and a half piece of all natural Vermont white cheddar, followed by the mushroom/onion mixture, the egg, and topped it all off with a slice of bacon, curled as a garnish.  I used a toothpick to hold it all together, and it caused the yolk to drip down over the entire dish.  In short, it was fantastic.  He ate three that evening and two the next.

I haven't heard a peep about burgers since!  Mwahaha!  And all that with only 1 lb of turkey meat and a couple slices of bacon.  (We normally use turkey bacon, but this was given to us so we're using it)

I'd like to make one with avocado next time, and maybe some sauteed bell peppers.  The more veggies, the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment