Friday, January 16, 2015

An Experi-Mint! Oh, dear, that horrible pun



I love mint. As a child, my grandmother would pick from the mint that grew like a weed in her front yard and would boil, sweeten, and ice it to make fresh, green mint tea in the summer. I now use it dried in my echinacea, mint, and lemon balm tea for when we have colds or sore throats.

Most people will tell you that it is super easy to grow, and tends to take over like a weed. I'd have no idea about that because I can't keep it alive. I have killed every single mint plant that has come into my possession. So, as a last-ditch effort, I'm going to try to root some from the cuttings you can buy at your local grocery store. I put a little rooting hormone in the glass with water, and have it sitting in a brightly-lit window. I put six more mature sprigs in the red pot with rooting hormone at the base of the stem, and fresh potting soil on it. That one will sit on top of the computer where it will be away from small child interest. I want to know if either method will work better, if any works at all. If neither, my local Lowe's is getting some business from me buying another set of plants, to see if I can keep them alive.

Comment with links to good mint-growing, mint-starting, and mint recipe websites. :) Good luck, and I'll probably edit this post with an update when I get some results.

****UPDATE****
The mint in the pot died, but the mint in the water grew beautiful roots within 2 weeks and transitioned nicely into the pot. It is sitting in the bright windowsill enjoying the sunshine with its new herb buddies: sage, thyme, and rosemary, all from a $0.99 "poultry herb blend" similar to the mint stash. I bought some more mint, but that had all been chopped into tiny pieces, so I'll just use it for cooking. I'll update again with those herbs' results. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment