Monday, January 5, 2015

This is what happens...

...when there is so much amazing that it encroaches on my sharing ability.

Our little home has been pretty busy lately, but I've felt that niggling feeling in my fingertips that I need to keep writing, if not to help me remember it all, then to simply give these thoughts expression. And the only way to make it happen is to simply write, if only for a few minutes while your sunny side egg and rice cools off. This is how the magic happens: on a new gaming keyboard with 6-key rollover and a cool little green light on the front. The clicky sounds are soothing and inspiring.

SO, today's gift to the world:

My mother-in-law introduced me to sunny side egg and rice when I was pregnant with Raiden. It sounded horrible, but tasted wonderful. For the pregnant/nursing mom, getting all the nutrition from the brown rice and the (preferably local, pastured) delicious eggs and dash of cheese was essential. All this not to mention how quick it was to make.

The key is to keep your rice on hand. Brown rice takes a long time to cook, so you want to make a big pot and keep the leftovers in the fridge. Then, all you have to do is fry an egg or two until the yoke is almost set, add a little cheese or beans for flavor, and you have a lot of protein very quickly. When I was pregnant with Raiden, I had this breakfast down to 2.5 minutes start-to-finish to make. I'd put the egg on first, then scoop about 1/2 cup of rice to heat in the microwave, flip the egg, add the cheese, get the rice, remove the egg, and be done. The protein curbed the nausea and the complex carbs kept me full longer.

*Note: if you're pregnant, make sure your egg is hot enough to kill any listeriosis critters that might be lurking about. Only about one in 6 million eggs are contaminated (if memory serves), but it's worth noting nonetheless. My OB told me to make sure the food was steaming hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment