Friday, January 16, 2015

When the gardening bug strikes early

I have a serious illness. I don't know the name of it, but it causes me to get the itch to garden every time the weather warms past 50 F. Since I live in Zone 7, that means mid-January. Mid-January is no time to be gardening. In fact, it is a better time to be doing things like drinking hot cocoa and preparing for our snowy season, which tends to start in February.

But we crazy gardening types have a recourse. You don't have to have a cozy day to start gardening planning and preparation. Pictured above is my garden prep so far, besides putting in my overwinter plants (onions and garlic and my echinacea seeds that I harvested last year).

I have a rough sketch of my space (Top Right) with all the plants in their spots. If you make a garden design plan, be sure to keep a copy for next year so you can rotate your crops, especially those nutrient-hungry legumes and potatoes.

I have my clothespins (Right Center), which will be snapped to wooden skewers and used as plant markers. In the big picture, you can see one of last year's survivors that I'm reusing. Because it is a pain to dig through a bag of those things while you're planting, I have snapped one to the seed packet that is relevant to it, and that should help me to keep up with them. The fading happens pretty quickly, but by the time the information has all washed off of the skewers, the plants should be recognizable.

All of this is coordinated through the planting guide (Bottom Right) that lists the types of plants, any companions they should have, and when to plant them. I highlighted early and late planters. I was so stoked that peas apparently are cool with being planted as early as February, which will give me something to do the next time the bug strikes. I will move the start indoors babies to the big garden after the soil gets tilled sometime in mid-to-late April. I share a garden plot with two other families, and I can't wait to fill the beautiful space with flowers, herbs, and veggies to cook, eat, can, freeze, and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment