Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Iced Tea of the Eastern World

I'm talking about Thai food.  Many have joked at the big Southern Contradiction: you boil it to make it hot, put ice in it to make it cold, lemon in it to make it sour and sugar to make it sweet.  I think the Thai have us beat, though.  With coconut to make it cool, chilis to make it spicy, sugar to make it sweet, soy sauce to make it salty, and random herbs thrown in there, I cringed as I put the peanut sauce to my lips to taste it.  Imagine my surprise when it was wonderful.  Really.  I fully expected to hate it, but nothing else in my recipe book called for coconut milk, and I had some leftover from the coconut cake I baked for a party.

Enough introduction, it's share time:

1/4 c. crunchy peanut butter
1 t. lime juice
1 1/2 t. soy sauce
1/2 t. hoisin sauce (I didn't have Worcestershire)
Garlic (about 1 clove, minced)
1 t. crushed red pepper or 1 chili
1-2 t. garam masala or curry powder
1 can coconut milk (add about 1T brown sugar if it's unsweetened)
Cilantro and basil to taste (I always skip the cilantro as it is nasty)
1/2 t. ginger brine (or minced fresh ginger if you have it)

Mix all ingredients except coconut milk in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Slowly add the coconut milk until everything is smoothly blended together (obviously peanuts and spices will stand out, but the consistency should be smooth).  Heat thoroughly until it begins to thicken, but do not boil.

Recipe idea: over Udon noodles and sauteed vegetables is AMAZING.  This would also be good on da cheap over a bed of ramen with some green onions snipped on top.  I could also see this being a wonderful chicken topping.  I especially like that I can use my Indian spices and my Japanese food together.  <3

Any Thai recipes/suggestions? 

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure this is legal?? I kinda wanna try it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you decide to come up and visit in the next week or so, I'll make you some--I had lots of sauce left over.

    ReplyDelete