Tuesday, May 24, 2011

PHOTOS! Apartment gardening, pt. 2

As promised in one of my first posts (see the one with the elaborate Microsoft Paint attachment), I have photos of my porch garden and some ideas to grow some lovelies yourself! 





I really like the window boxes, and there are braces available for those who want to put them on the porch railing.  We get a lot of wind, which equals a lot of plants overturned by me practicing that very method, so I set them on a more protected area.  I've also seen people who used shoe organizers for herb gardens: http://www.instructables.com/id/VERTICAL-VEGETABLES-quotGrow-upquot-in-a-smal/

Those upside-down tomato and strawberry growing kits are pretty tempting as well, offering utilization of bird feeder hooks and possibly the porch railing as well.  Here's how to make on yourself, and it looks really cool to boot!  http://www.curbly.com/diy-maven/posts/1620-how-to-make-an-upside-down-tomato-planter

The soil around here is decently poor, especially close to the apartment, and weeds are always an issue, so I've spent quite some time adding rich soil in order to make the ground a little more garden-friendly.  One advantage we have is sunlight.  Most people in apartments tend to have lots of shade but very little sun, and it's hard to find vegetables that thrive on shade.  Herbs do pretty well and are pretty popular because they don't need a big, deep pot to grow, nor are they particularly high-maintenance. 

This article (no pictures, sadly) is all about container vegetable gardening and what veggies need what size container: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8105.html

I hope this helps some of you limited-space people!  So, what did I miss?  Any other ideas, recommendations, stories about what to use/not to use when limited-space gardening? 

No comments:

Post a Comment