Monday, September 2, 2013

Day 2 Gluten Free

Today I did a little research (read, about 30 seconds' worth) because I heard that going GF can give you withdrawals. This is what I found: 

"Some people experience withdrawal symptoms for several days or weeks after starting a gluten-avoidant diet, according to Wangen. These can include headaches, fatigue and powerful cravings for glutenous foods. Withdrawal symptoms should resolve within a few days or weeks..." (http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/expect-stopping-gluten-1075.html). 

Good to know! So far, none of that craziness, though I have been a space cadet today. I wore my shirt inside out for the first half of the day, misread something (and I'm a copy editor), and generally was a spaz. That may just be me, though. :-) 

Day 2                     Rainy/cloudy/sunny Labor Day Monday with laundry, dishes, and cooking salsa!

I think I’m less hungry during the day on hot days. I usually make up for it after Raiden goes to bed, when its cooler out. Hopefully I can come up with plenty of tasty options to get us through the week. There will probably be discount grillable foods this weekend on sale at the grocery store, so next week’s cooking will be a cinch.

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs topped with a smidgen of sausage, cheese, and grits

Lunch: Roasted green beans dipped in ranch dressing. Mmmm.

Dinner: Ummm....wow, I really was not hungry today. I'll try to remember to take my prenatals tomorrow so that I can get some extra nutrition. 

Snacks/beverages: Hot tea, a little chocolate, a taste of the salsa on about 3 tortilla chips, grape/pomegranate juice mix

AND, in case anyone was wondering, here is my salsa recipe:

A quart ish of ripe tomatoes (these were the ones with spots from my in-laws' garden)
1 onion
1 bell pepper (this is mild, use jalapeno and poblano for spice that bites back)
small bunch of green onions
small bunch of cilantro (why I didn't eat more of the salsa)
juice of 1/2 a lemon
at least 2 teaspoons salt 
leeetle bit of garlic powder
red and black pepper

Slice, dice and puree as desired. This would be great mixed with avocado to make guacamole! In fact, that may be tomorrow's snack, if the cilantro flavor doesn't get any more intense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment